Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Another Rooibos, aka the Melbourne Dress



So named because I wore it a couple times on a week-long work+fun trip to Melbourne, and because it is grey and black, two colours I associate with the my favourite Australian city when she maintains her chic-ness while bunkered down for winter.

This was very quickly whipped up from some leftover black and grey double knit and required an awful lot of creative laying out to be able to get every piece out of the very small amount of fabric I had. No facings, no wee collar, no zipper, and I extended the sleeves into little cap kimonos.

Of course, I kept the pockets (pockets!!) and the piping that trims them. Man, I do love a dress with pockets.

I find this an incredibly easy-to-wear dress that handles variation well depending on what is worn under it. I reckon I'll be able to stretch it into spring with a collared short-sleve blouse under it. Better get cracking with that load of Japanese cotton I picked up from Tessuti.

2 comments:

The Nappy Spot said...

Ooo I love this version of the dress! I might just have to consider buying this pattern!

Kate said...

Thanks Amber! It's a pretty versatile pattern to sew from. Just watch the sizing. It seems to run quite big. I'm a US size 5/6, but I cut this at a 2!